14 July 2009


Today in Yahoo News, I read an article about how cats control humans. The article cited a study by Karen McComb of the University of Sussex. I had the same response to this monumental thesis as I did when KSDK ran a story about how the St. Louis pools had more people in them when the weather got hot: DUH! Good grief, tell us something we don't already know!

I ended up with six kitties inside because they control me. Because of allergies and asthma, I'm supposed to have *zero* kitties. I had settled on two, Melanie and Chelsie, but then my neighbor, Florence, a dog person, found a stray kitten ~ an adorable calico ~ who needed a home. First of all, I'm a sucker for calico kitties. Second of all, this kitten broke into loud purrs as soon as I cupped her in my hands. So that's how Elly Fae became a member of the Cleveland Kitty Cottage.

Okay, three kitties. That's not so bad. Mama had three kids. Three has always been my lucky number. I was born on March 3. Then a hungry black kitten showed up in the neighborhood. I swear I intended only to feed him, but then I made the mistake of sitting in my glider swing outside while he ate. When he was done, he climbed into my lap and licked my nose to say thank you. So that's how Joey became a member of the Cleveland Kitty Cottage.

Recent posts told you how Deuce and Trey were added. So like I don't already know that kitties can control us? For goodness sake, I added the expense and care of two special-needs kittens when I have property taxes to pay and a novel to write! The former will be taken care of today, the latter ~ well, who knows? Summer's running out on me fast!

My good friend Melinda has advised me to put on kitty blinders whenever I leave the house now. I am too easily controlled by fuzzy cuteness, purring, kitty kisses, and fluffs of love, either big or small. I think maybe God has stamped *SUCKER!* on my forehead in letters only feline eyes can see.

So I could have told Ms. McComb about the kitty-control thing a long time before she went to the trouble of studying kitty purrs. Of course, if I were to be studying something, I would probably choose kitties, too. :) Can I get a grant for that?

1 comment:

Emmie Jean said...

I saw that article too..but didn't even read it... like duhhhhh...LOL :) ...