29 October 2006

Life is funny sometimes.

Just a week ago, I was grieving for a close friend and three former students who had suddenly lost their husband/father to a heart attack.

The week that followed was an exhausting blur as I continued to deal with a demanding school year that was rendered even more hectic by the end of the grading period, parent-teacher conferences, the craziness of Homecoming Week, trips to the dentist and foot doctor, typing on my genealogy newsletter, and writing letters for a friend who is running for an elective office.

While all that was going on, my Cardinals were in the midst of a World Series, the games of which often ended later than the recommended bedtime for someone who has to get up at 5 a.m. on school days.

Friday night, I left Homecoming festivities early to return home to watch Game 5. As if to punish myself for sneaking away early, I tripped over either my own feet or a kitty as soon as I was in the door. New pain in a leg already problematic because of heel bursitis caused me to consider calling my neighbor to take me to the ER. However, that trip would mean missing Game 5 entirely, and since nothing was bleeding or hanging at odd angles, I didn't want to miss what could be the clinching game.

My efforts were rewarded about 10:22 when Cardinal reliever Adam Wainwright struck out the last Tiger to make the Cardinals world champions. As the team and fans in St. Louis celebrated with champagne, I hoisted a Diet Dew Decaf to wash down some Aleve and then rubbed Icy Hot into my leg.

The Cardinals are champions of the world! Heartache to happiness in less than a week. Yep, life is funny sometimes. And my leg is okay, too ~ though I'm moving even more slowly than usual, and last night I discovered trying to maneuver on a step stool isn't such a good idea when your leg is wounded. However, the only casualty in that adventure was a Yankee candle and a sunflower topper.

Now my personal winter begins and will last until the players report to spring training in February. But this winter may have a somewhat warmer glow than did the 24 previous ones.

Go, Cardinals! :)

1 comment:

Janet said...

Hope this is "better late than never", Vikki -- John and I were DELIGHTED with the news and watched as many (and much) of the games as we could (in the middle of the night here)!!!!

Janet